Too Cool

Too Cool
Baby Batman (or, as we call him, Bam Bam)

Friday, June 4, 2010

Just Another Friday

Yesterday was rough. Work was rough due to so much downtime without a computer, kids were fighting over everything, and my almost-12-year-old seemed to be very teenager-like (read: Moody). Then I forgot that I had to drive my mother, who babysat, home before my Foster Parent meeting, and I wound up stressed and very late for my first meeting. I even brought Little Mister with me, so that my mother-in-law would not be stuck with four wild kids AND a baby.

The good news is, Little Mister was as quiet as a mouse, sleeping, smiling, and generally winning the prize for Best Baby in my household. Sorry, Former Best Baby - Little Mister wins! I even took him to pick up milk after the meeting, with him wide awake. Any other of my babies would be screaming for me to feed them first, which would mean, "Sorry kids - no milk." Not Little Mister. He looked up at me smiling, then hung out while I rolled his carriage up the freezing-cold aisles in search of milk and oatmeal (hey, I was already there). Then he let my husband hold him while I ate a very late dinner. What a wonderful baby.

I admit that I checked my phone every five minutes just in case Little Missy's Dad called or texted. I assume the silence means that she is just fine, and they are busy going about their new life. I am happy for them. I still well up with tears in the morning, since that was our special time together, but I am trying to take advantage of Little Mister's easygoing nature to sleep in a bit while my husband is still working the late shift.

My four-year-old, told me that we need TWO babies, and that I should tell Little Missy's Dad that it's time for Little Missy to come back home with us. I asked him if we could take another child home instead, and he said, "Yes, Little Missy can come home now." He doesn't quite get it, but he's also been very calm - no tears, no tantrums.

My nine-year-old, is ready right now for another child. Or at least, that's what he told me ("Mom, I want another foster child sooooo bad!"). He really was a huge help with Little Missy, even doing "physical therapy" with her, teaching her how to crawl, how to hold her toys, even how to stand and hold on to the furniture.

We have a lot to keep us busy this weekend. There are fesivals, baseball games, as well as that Avatar video that's been lying around waiting for us to join the rest of the world. I really do want to see it, we've just been way too busy for a three-hour movie. This weekend is our chance to catch up.

I think we should wait a little while before taking another placement. I think we all need the break, just to be sure that we have time to grieve our Little Missy, and to enjoy the quiet, calm life of our own little family unit. BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHA! Not quite calm and quiet, but at least familiar and predictable. And one baby is indeed easier than two, so for now, we will just enjoy our time together.

Until they call us again. But I am still hoping that all children go to bed safe at night, that they are loved and cared for, and that we are not needed. But if they do need us, we'll be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment