Too Cool

Too Cool
Baby Batman (or, as we call him, Bam Bam)

Sunday, March 13, 2011

An Empty Bed in the Shoe

I heard from Little Missy's Aunt today. I'm always conflicted when I hear from her, as she shares so many things with me. I'm happy to hear from her, yet I am always hesitant to pick up the phone.

I believe Little Missy is safe, and I like most of her family. There are things, though, that worry me. Not things that would cause her removal: If that were the case, I'm a mandated reporter, and I would not hesitate to pick up the phone.

I'm happy that they still keep in touch, though I do hear a lot of things that I almost wish they wouldn't talk about with me. But I listen. And often, like today, I am asked for advice, and I share it, and they are grateful. And I know I helped her just a little bit. You know, Little Missy could wind up just fine. That's what I'm hoping for. That's what I pray for.

I looked at pictures of her after today's phone call. The Princess smiled and laughed in my arms, sucking her thumb, as we watched a slideshow on my phone of all of the children in the Shoe. Looking at the Princess, I felt a little bit better. Not because I have two "replacement" babies. No, one child could never replace another. It's because I feel that Little Missy went back to about as good a situation as any. There are so many worse situations for so many other children. And sometimes, those children go home, too. So in the world of possibilities, Little Missy did pretty good.

It's bath time in the Shoe. We have lots of little ones who will be laughing and chasing bubbles, then cuddled in towels, dressed in their warm jammies, and read to for the night. We have a new book that I think my five-year-old will love.

Afterwards, we will relax with the babies until they fall asleep (which may be later than usual thanks to both Daylight Savings Time and the power nap they both just woke up from). More than likely, I will be asleep shortly after the last baby gives in to slumber. Heck, maybe even at the same time.

Good night, Little Missy. May God continue to watch over you, tonight and every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment